Today I’m talking all about making yourself wake up early to get a workout in! Now, I’m by no means 100% perfect at waking up to fit in a sweat session.. but I’m getting better. I try to get up at least 3 days a week to fit in a workout before I head to the office.
There are a few tips I’ve used to make getting up in the morning a little easier and get myself to the gym!
1. Something is better than nothing. Let’s say you’ve snoozed for an extra 15 or 20 minutes.. so what?! Even if you only have 20 minutes to get moving, it’s something. Don’t miss out on the chance to sweat a little and start your day on the right note. It’s easy to think that you’ve already snoozed so you might as well forget the thought of a workout, but you NEVER regret a workout!
2. You really won’t miss out on much sleep. For me personally, I set my alarm to 6AM when I plan to workout in the morning. Let’s say I wake up at 6 and decide to go back to sleep.. Realistically, I won’t get more than 15 or 20 minutes more of solid sleep time (when you count the time to fall back asleep and extra snoozing.. let’s be realistic). SO let’s make the most of our time. 20 minutes won’t make that much of a difference! This is the most important motivating factor for me.
3. If you go back to sleep, you’ll be more tired. This sounds like an oxymoron, but this is SO true. You might be a little tired right when you wake up, but if you go back to sleep for an extra half hour, you’ll be even more tired and it’ll be THAT much harder to wake up. It’s much easier to just get moving and take advantage of your early morning.
4. Set your alarm across the room… and don’t get back in bed. Set it on your dresser on the way to your bathroom or on the floor in the hallway right by your workout clothes. Make turning off your alarm on the way to getting ready for a great workout. Resist the temptation to get back in bed! You never regret a workout and I swear you’ll feel much more energized.
5. Get your clothes ready the night before. Heck, even SLEEP in your workout clothes. But further than that, get your post-workout clothes ready in a convenient spot and pick your shoes and pack your lunch ahead of time. That way you have a little extra time for a longer workout (or if you press snooze a time or 2, it won’t cut out too much time.. But don’t snooze 😉 )
And here are my top tips for waking up early to workout! Let me know if you have any tips in the comments.